Saturday, February 16, 2008

Card From A Friend & A Sketch!

Today my daughter and I went to a great demo at my LSS. My friend Phyl was demoing something that apparently has been around for quite a while, but none of us stampers here had ever laid hands on it! It's called MARL paper and it is a paper that allows you to really color like watercolor on the paper without using paints but instead using markers. The way she explained it was the markers "float" on the paper's surface allowing you to draw the color out. This paper also prevents lines from forming - you know, the lines you normally see when you color with regular water based markers on regular paper. I haven't tried it yet, but luckily my daughter won the demo card! The image was stamped with black permanent ink and then watercolored with Tombow markers and blending with an aquaflow brush. Click HERE if you want to see more of her creations!


Here's a close up....

Because I LOVE this card layout, I thought, why not share it and issue a weekend challenge for those who need a little something to jump start their creativity? If you do use this sketch, let me know by leaving a comment and linking up to it on your blog or gallery! Thanks Phyl for the inspiration! It was a great demo!

SKETCH CHALLENGE


My daughter's new word is fabulous... so, have a FABULOUS weekend. I am in my craft room today so I'll be back tomorrow with one of my own creations!

13 comments:

Diane said...

Such a beautiful card and sketch Julie,I wish I could color like that!! Can't wait to see yours!
Well I made one but had to improvise because I didn't have a rectangle scallop but hey,at least I tried,lol. Have a great sunday and here's my link to my card.
http://ddnjoys2stamp.blogspot.com/

Janine said...

Glad that you had a fun time with your daughter at the demo.. Love the card that was done as well.
I will try the challenge tomorrow.
It looks like fun. Marl is great paper... We have it up here in one of LSS's and it works well.
I really like Fabriano as well.

Carolyn King said...

lucky daughter---to win the card. Beautiful coloring!!! Cannot wait to see what you come up with--LOVE that sketch!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous and I love the stamps on that card, can you tell us what stamps were used? Thanks!!
Karen W
jkwallace@mchsi.com

Karen Lindsay said...

The card is absolutely gorgeous and makes me wish I still lived there so I could have attended the demo. Lucky you that your daughter won the card! Phyl's work is always awesome. :) Wish I had the time to participate in the weekend challenge, but...

Karen

Jamie Martin said...

Wow, beautiful card, congratulations to you daughter for winning the demo card :)

SBS-5

Diane said...

Hey Julie! You sure count on me cause I Loooove your blog and I want to try to be good one day,so am trying all kinds of sketches and images. I colored it with prima pencils only.

Janine said...

Hey Julie

Here is my card for challenge..
Hope your Sunday has been pleasant.
It has rained here pretty much all day. I've been to the gym, done some laundry, started supper and will continue to clean my craft room before it spontaneously combusts.

Jules said...

This is a beautiful card!
I check out that gals blog and all of her cards are just amazing! Thanks for the link!

Jennifer Buck said...

Wowza!!! That is amazing! I need to find myself some of that paper! I will give this sketch a try as well. I have to work on my card swap cards so hopefully will have time either later tonight or tomorrow. I will post the link then. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day! :)

Jennifer Buck said...

It's posted...how fun is your sketch! Thanks for this! http://thebuckstampshere.blogspot.com/2008/02/sketches-sketchestoo-many-sketches.html Take care and have a wonderful evening! :)

Phyl said...

I am awesomed out by all of the positive feed back. You guys are just too kind and I thank you tons. If it weren't for Julie, I wouldn't have a blog and it's been such great fun.
Hugs to all

Annapurna said...

Thanks for sharing the sketch with us.
Here is mine.

xx
Anna