Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Just sitting here dreamin'........

Don't you find that there are times when you just have to dream of the ocean. And, since I live in Montana -- the ocean seems worlds away. So, what do I do to combat that? Well, I "stamp" the ocean instead!

I dug deep and picked a stamp that is long gone when it comes to images. It's a retired PSX stamp called Portland Head. Here's a little history for you. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow often visited this area and wrote a poem about this very lighthouse....

The rocky ledge runs far out into the sea
And on its outer point, some miles away,
The lighthouse lifts its massive masonry,
A pillar of fire by night, of cloud by day.

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, "The Lighthouse"


Enough dreaming.... here's my card! I made it pretty simple because my image is so pretty. I colored it up with Copic markers using Flourishes Copic Collections - I used the Water, Poppy, Spring Greens and Flesh Tones 2 collections. I added some Snow Green from the Pastels Collection to the clouds and while my Nesties Labels 1 die was still on my shape, I sponged some baby blue and Antique Linen inks around the upper edges for my sky. Add a sentiment, on a punched oval, some rustic cord and you're almost done! The papers are from Prima and Crate Paper (blue). I also paper pierced the edge of the blue for a little extra pop.

Voila! Now if only I could zap myself to the coast to smell that ocean air in real life. Oh well.... I can dream! :-)

Thanks for stopping by! I'll see you back here soon!


15 comments:

denise g. said...

Pretty card; so realistic. I do miss the PSX stamps and still love the ones I'm lucky enough to own. I won't even start on my "dream" list since I'm not sure how many words this little comment box lets me have. Thanks for sharing yours.

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

Great image and I can totally relate to your dreams of the ocean....we had a dive trip planned for December and just had to cancel it because of some stuff Tim has going on at work...;-((( So now I'm dreaming of the ocean too!!!

Yvonne Hagane said...

WOW! This is so beautiful!!
I just love that image, and you`ve colored it so beautifully. Like a breath og fresh air - litteraly!

Chris said...

I am right there with you dreaming of the ocean. I love the sound of the waves, the smell of the ocean air and the feel of the sand between my toes. Thanks for taking me to a happy place today.

Janine said...

Just gorgeous Julie!! Hope all is well with you!! I will have to update you soon...

veronica said...

i love the way you sponged your sky. it just finishes it so nicely.

Joan B said...

Hey, I'm not THAT far from the Atlantic. Come on over. Gorgeous card!

Darlene said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Your coloring is so bright and beautiful and the layout ... perfect! I'm kind of far from the ocean but there a river close by ... would that help??? Take care!

Betty said...

Oh but Julie, you have MOUNTAINS, they trump oceans any day! My DD will be in TX this summer, she's not excited about not being in MT and away from the mountains even though she's close to the ocean.

Diane said...

Stunning Julie!!!

asela said...

Simple gorgeous! It's funny, we who live near the ocean dream of the mountains. Life...funny huh

SAMARA said...

Just beautiful! Your RED is stunning. Reminds me of PEI (canada) Beautifully colored.

Silke Ledlow said...

OH WOWZER...this is simply gorgeous - Julie!!! Love the image and the way you colored it!!!

You not gonna believe it, but we still have weather in the 80's today...you need to come and visit :) Hugs ~S~

Stacy Morgan said...

Awww... So peaceful is this scene and gorgeouc shading.

Amy Rohl said...

Fabulous traditional Christmas images set against some of my favorite pp--Mistletoe!