Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Season that Sparkles with.... Santa Baby!!

We hope you've been enjoying this week's sneeks! Today we usher in an entirely classic holiday set with a real vintage feel...

Introducing.....

This gorgeous stippled Santa is so classic and it was drawn by a brand new illustrator for Flourishes... Becky Fleck! You'll have to head on over to the Flourishes Newsletter to read about this new artist on the Flourishes team. She has an amazing resume and we couldn't be more excited to have her in our corner!

When you tour the Design Teams' blogs today - you'll see this gorgeous Santa can be done up in an ornate way, with a touch of gold or even just stamped in one color. He looks absolutely perfect each and every way. Becky also designed a coordinating background called Holly that takes that beautiful leaf cluster in Santa's hat and makes it into a background that you can use for so many different things around the holidays! Head on over to see.....

Leslie Miller
Christine Okken
Julie Koerber
Latisha Yoast
Laura Fredrickson
Stacy Morgan
Cindy Lawrence
Sharon Doolittle

For my creation, I turned to a technique I haven't done in ages... crayon resist! It's a fun technique and it's perfect for this stamp set! Here's a peek at how you can get started! I stamped the Santa on a piece of glossy cardstock using the Hybrid Palette Ink in the Burnt Umber shade. I heat set it before I began.
You can see, I chose a light, medium and dark shade of distress ink. I have a sponge and also a white crayon. Before I continued, I ended up coloring all the areas that I wanted to stay white. I colored Santa's beard, hair and eyebrows.

Then, I sponged on all three shades of distress ink. when I was done, I used a soft paper towel to remove the excess ink that was laying on the wax of the crayon, It looked like this....

The next part is the fun part! I picked up some Copic Markers to give a photo tinting effect to my Santa. I used RVo2 from the Hollyhock Collection for Santa's rosy cheeks. I used G82 and G85 to color up the Holly Leaf from the Fields Collection and I used R24 and R27 from the Poppy Collection to color up the berries. I did use a clear Copic Spica pen to add some razzle dazzle to Santa's glasses! After I was finished, as you can see, paper pierced the edge around my Santa. The rest is simply matting my Santa up and adding a tied piece of ribbon for a bit of embellishment!

And here... is my finished product! You can see that I used the new Holly Background stamp to embellish a piece of green text weight paper to make an envelope liner. I think it is so fun to create liners that match your holiday cards!
Do you want to win this set? All you need to do is leave a comment on the Santa, I Belive post over on the Flourishes Newsletter and you'll be in the running! Random.org will draw a number and we'll have the winner in tomorrow's post!

MORE FUN AT FLOURISHES...

  • Did you see our A Season That Sparkles Challenge? If you play, you will have a chance at winning all SIX of our new releases for October. That's one valuable prize - you could even call it an early Christmas present! Click HERE for the details.

  • Mark your calendars for our RELEASE PARTY coming up this Friday! It's our power hour of fun with games, goodies, and prizes up for grabs! We'll host it in the Flourishes Forum over on Splitcoast HERE from 9 to 10 PM Central Standard Time. As the party wraps, all of our sets that we peek this week will be put in store for your shopping pleasure!

The fun continues tomorrow right here! We wrap up the week with a beautiful set that has a real homespun flair. Come back and see the second offering from the ever-so-talented Marcella Hawley! See you then!

27 comments:

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

Beautiful card, Julie. Love the way you left all Santa's hair white and love the vintage feel of the card. Nice job!

Tammy Hershberger said...

OMW Julie, this is FABULOUS!!!

denise g. said...

Oh, do I like this one!! I LOVE how you colored him up, until you got to the Copics and then I was like "oh well, I can do the basic crayon and distress ink part". Good luck with haulin' all that precious cargo around today.

Betty Wright said...

Fantastic, Julie!!! LOVE this warm vintage feel santa!!! Awesome resist and sponging!!! Wonderfully done!!!

Dru said...

This is just beautiful Julie - I love the vintage santa and the classic clean lines you've created! I can't wait for the new releases!

Cammie said...

Oh, this is stunning. What a wonderful take on this vintage Santa. Can't wait for Friday.

Janine said...

This is AMAZING Julie!! I hope all is well... Give Pat my love!!

mimiburroughs said...

Awesome! Love it!!

NancyK said...

What a fabulous card! I haven't done crayon resist in awhile and this image is perfect for it! Love the vintage look!

Stacy Morgan said...

Over the top COOL! LOVE how you colored him, such a vintage feel. he really feels like he is looking at you, AWESOME Julie.

Unknown said...

Ohhhh, this is fantastic, Julie!
I'd love to try this technique when I get the set!! TFS~

LeAnne said...

WOW WOW WOW! This is incredible! I LOVE this Santa image and what you've done with him.....so retro!! I must have him!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Amazing! Love the way you added the white and the sponging is perfect! Beautiful card with this fabulous image!

Sue said...

Oh how I love this Santa - gorgeous card!

ChristineCreations said...

This looks amazing Julie! I'm so glad you showed your technique too...perfect on this Santa! And so smart on the envelope liner too! One beautiful Santa card!

Broni said...

Perfectly gorgeous, Julie!!

Unknown said...

I agree with all the comments! Just beautiful! I haven't done crayon resist for quite some time. Thanks for the "tutorial" on this card!!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my gosh, Julie! This is so fabulous! I must admit, when I saw this in the Yahoo! gallery, I wondered and wondered how you did the white. I thought it was an awfully lot of area to cover with the white gel pen! But crayon resist? A stroke of genius! Love this wonderful vintage card!

Sewflake said...

Lovely Julie, I had forgotten about crayon resist for projects. Thnak for the reminder. It does provide a wonderful look to your image. I like the red on red santa in the header too....I'm going to give that a try. :-}

Ida said...

Wonderful card. Very vintage and the crayon resist looks fabulous.

Silke Ledlow said...

Julie - I love how you colored and sponged this Santa image!!! Fabulous card and technique ideas!!! Hugs ~S~

Latisha said...

this is such a cool technique!! Wow, so beautiful!!

DB said...

I really like the technique you used on this card, beautiful!

Pattyjo said...

I love the vintage look of the Santa card! It is just beautiful!
Pattyjo

Jen said...

Incredible! Thank you so much for sharing

Jenny Gropp said...

very creative -- love that you showed the how to on this one! Awesome card!

Beate said...

FANTASTIC crayon resist sample. BEAUTIFUL card.
Hugs and smiles