Thursday, January 21, 2010

Very Vintage... Stamp Simply Style!

Hi all! TGIF! This week for the Stamp Simply Challenge, it's all about going back in time -- on your cards that is -- to create a very vintage look in your creation. Ruffle the edges, use some classic embellishments, a vintage stamp or image... just that simple! You can click HERE to hop over to Sharon's place for all the official details!

When I heard that vintage was the theme this week, I knew exactly which stamp I wanted to use. I just got my hands on this beautiful tea cup . It's from Impression Obsession. It's funny, I never noticed that the name of the stamp was Lemon Tea cup. So, when I was coloring this image up, I colored the fruit as oranges because my mother-in-law drinks herbal orange tea and that was what came to my mind first. But, in thinking about it - I've never seen anyone put an orange slice in their tea! Guess I need to become a tea drinker!

So, to create my card, I stamped the tea cup onto European Watercolor Paper and then colored it up with a Niji water brush and my distress inks. I am loving the way distress inks flow on watercolor paper. They have an oily base, so they are very forgiving! I used Broken China, Worn Lipstick, Dried Marigold, Antique Linen and Peeled Paint. After coloring up my image, I cut it out and popped it up on my card. The rest is just layering, sewing, adding a punched edge (EK Success), some satin ribbon and a fun hat pin. That sparkle is actually the light shining off the Swarovski crystal on the pin. After my card was assembled, I took a sponge and dabbed on some more distress ink around the edges. The paper is a mix of Crate Paper and K & Company. So, there you have it - my take on 'very vintage!'

Want to see what the other Stamp Simply gals created this week for ssnotime123, just hop on over and see.....

Sharon
Janine
Jennifer
AJ
Tammy
Deb
Barbara
Jenny
Barb

Well my friends, if you haven't gotten enough 'vintage', Cindy Lawrence, one of my fellow DT members on the Flourishes team is heading up a vintage inspired tutorial over on the Flourishes Newsletter. Just click HERE to check it out!!!

Have a great weekend everyone! See you back here soon!


23 comments:

Deb Neerman said...

So soft and pretty, Jewels! Very vintage-feminine and beautifully colored!

Yvonne Hagane said...

Oh Julie, I just LOVE your vintage card!! The soft colors and your beautifully colored image is so gorgeous.

Karen W said...

This is gorgeous and I love oranges in tea, even put them ice tea.

Joan Fricker said...

Beautiful card Julie. I love your stamp. Great job!
Joan

Nana Bev said...

Very elegant card. Thanks for sharing and giving us inspiration.

Janine said...

Tea cup tea pot!! We got something going on here sweetie!!

NancyK said...

I'm not really into vintage images but I really like the take IO has on this tea cup - a nice change to show the cup from the top and include the fruit pieces. Love the pretty look of your card.

Jerri Kay said...

You nailed it Julie, I absolutely love it! That stamp is to die for! I love Impression Obsession stamps. I have several Alessa Baker stamps and need to pull them out and start using them! The DP you've used on this card is so beautiful! A fabulous design!

Jenny Gropp said...

Pretty, Pretty, Pretty! I think I need to try this European Watercolor Paper you keep using -- your results are beautiful --so soft and smooth! Awesome card!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Absolute loveliness -- ABSOLUTE!!! What a WOW project done in vintage perfection! Totally lovin' this!!!

Deborah Saaranen said...

This is gorgeous Julie! I love your beautiful new tea cup stamp...you've colored it beautifully!

Marvelous elements and extras all around!

Carol L said...

Perfectly vintage Julie, and I love the teacup image with an orange slice! I might have to give that orange slice a try one of these days!

Darlene said...

This is DELICIOUS!!! You know how I love vintage and you've nailed it with this creation!! WELL DONE MY FRIEND!! Hugs to ya!

Ann said...

Beautiful card, Julie!

Leslie Miller said...

This is beautiful, Julie! So soft and, yes, very Victorian. What a gorgeous image. Hey, why not put an orange slice in your tea? It sounds delicious. You may have started a new trend!

The Rubber Maid said...

Lovely vintage card...soft and very sweet. MOM

Barbara said...

Just gorgeous, Julie!!! Love that image and your background paper is beautiful!!

Sue from Oregon said...

Lovely!!!

Davi said...

Oh My this is really beautiful. I love the image and the way you colored it including the oranges!!

Tammy Hershberger said...

Wow Julie, you do vintage like no other! This is such a wonderful image, and totally gorgeous design!

Melisa Waldorf said...

Hi Julie. Isn't that the wonderful thing about art, we can create things that don't make since in real life, like oranges in tea, teehee. It has special meaning to you! Between this one and the beautiful watercolor over on the IO blog, you have totally inspired me to put the copics and prismacolor pencils away and pull out my neglected watercolors! I've never heard of European watercolor paper though and you have definitely tweeked my interest. I'm going to google it but of course if you have time to recommend where you get it that's great too! Thanks for sharing!

Shirley said...

Absolutely stunning, Julie!!

Shaun said...

This is beautiful. What a great idea to use the distress inks that way.