Monday, April 9, 2012

Window Treat Bag Tutorial

Hi all! For those of you celebrating the holiday this weekend, I hope you had a joyous and restful one! It's back to business and to jump start your creativity, I thought I'd share a little project that I featured on my blog a few weeks back, only this time - with step-by-step instructions! It's a little window treat box that could be decked out for all occasions!

To get started you need:
Flourishes Classic White Paper
Decorative Paper
Decorative Edge Punch or  Border Die
Flourishes Clear Card Stock 
Mother's Words of Wisdom Stamp Set and Tiny Flowers and Tags Set
Copic Markers
Tuxedo Black Ink 
Ribbon & Silver Cording
Small die cut shape for tag
Scor-Tape   

Here's a peek at what we're going to be making....
    

We'll start with two sheets of Classic White Card Stock - measuring 8" by 8-1/2". On both pieces, you will score 2" around the two longest sides and only one of the shortest sides. As you can see by my example below, score down the 1" line on the two longest sides ONLY to the bottom score line and then stop. On one piece, you will cut along the bottom score lines creating flaps  - you can see that in the picture below.

   

On the second piece follow the same instructions, except instead of cutting flaps, you will actually notch out both 2" by 2" segments on the bottom on both sides, like this....

   

 I wanted the front of my bag to be somewhat more colorful than just plain white - so I trimmed a piece of decorative paper to measure 4-1/2" by 6", added some decorative stitching and secured it to the front of my box like this...
   

 Now, the fun begins because we get to start to build our "window!" I took a circle die (Spellbinders Classic Circle Lg.), lined it up and used a post-it note to keep my die secure...

   

 Here's what it looks like after I've run it through my Grand Calibur...

   

 From here, flip this panel over, trim a piece of Flourishes Clear Card Stock down to fit over your circle window and secure using Scor-Tape.

   

 Next, stamp the wreath from the Mother's Words of Wisdom stamp set onto Flourishes Classic White and color using Copic Markers. I used these collections for my creation!
After coloring, I used a mix of detail scissors and a craft knife to trim the opening on the inside of my wreath like so....


And afterward, I used detail scissors to trim along the outside as well, creating the window for my window box! I secured with Scor-Tape and here's a peek at the work in progress!


Next, it's time to assemble the box.... you'll need some more Scor-Tape and you'll want to add tape just like I did below...


From here, you'll undo the tape on the bottom and on the two flaps and secure so that the finished front looks like this...


Then, securing tape to the bottom of the flap on the other part of the box, you are going to connect both pieces like below. You can also see from the photo below that I trimmed 1" off each side of this other part of the box - basically cutting along the score line.

From here, add some Scor-Tape to the flaps on the part of the box above that is laying down and connect both sides. The next part is adding all the little extras! To create the top of my box, I took a 4" by 4-1/2" piece of decorative paper, scored it in the middle at the 2" line and then added a punched decorative border....

You'll secure this to the back of your window box using Scor-Tape...


Add the wreath to the front, a little band of ribbon that's tied up in a bow and a sentiment tag made with the help of a die cut circle and sentiment from the Tiny Flowers and Tags set (added with a snippet of silver cording).


Here's a peek at the box from the side.....


And... a close up of the tag!

Now all this little bag needs are some goodies to stick inside. A certain friend of mine hinted that she might like some cookies in this little window bag -- so we'll see what we can do! ;-)  Hope you enjoyed today's tutorial and if you make one of these boxes, be sure to link it up here, I would love to see what YOU create!

Happy Creating and happy Monday!

~Julie

No comments: