Friday, September 4, 2015

Sweet Little Sumpin' Sumpin'!

Hi all! How's your September starting out? I hope that a new month brings a whole new spark of creatitivy and what better way to get that mojo a flowin' than to usher in a new  Power Poppy Power & Spark Challenge! This one is hosted by the amazing colorist and super sweet designer.... KATIE SIMS! 



HOW TO PLAY: This month Katie would love nothing more than for you to get great ideas for your gift giving season! Here's what Ms. Katie had to say about her September Challenge!

"Hello and a happy September to you!  This month’s Power & Spark challenge is all about giving.  We all know the paper crafting community has some of the biggest, giving hearts around so let’s celebrate that with “Gifts from the Heart." Show us your creative gift presentations or a hand crafted gift….or both!  Try stamping  your own wrapping paper, decorate your own gift bag or tag, craft a gift set of note cards....you choose how to show your art and heart for a special someone.  Even though the holidays are just around the corner, any time is a great time for gift giving so this challenge is open for any occasion." 

If you'd like to read up on the Official Rules, just click on over to the the challenge post HERE!Remember, if you play along, you just might win a free clear or digital stamp set of choice from the Power Poppy Shop! You have until September 30th to enter!


ON TO MY CREATION!

For my little bit of show and tell today, I decided to share one of my favorite gifts of all time -- my favorite Lavender Coconut Oil Lotion. This stuff smells absolutely delish and I love the fact that it has three ingredients in it -- all of which I can pronounce! I use it every day and in addition to making my skin soft and glossy, it brings a dose of aromatherapy as well! Who doesn't love the smell of coconut and lavender? ;-)

So, here's a peek at the gift set -- a cute little 4-1/4" square card to serve as a little gift note! And then, the mason jar can be dressed up by stamping the lavender onto a 2" punched circle that fits -- oh so perfectly -- on the top of your mason jar!


For the stamps, I used Power Poppy's Lavender stamp set -- perfect! After stamping in Memento Tuxedo Black ink, I grabbed my Copic markers and used BV00, BV02 and BV04, G20, G21, G24, BG0000, BG000, BG01, and G0000. For the jar topper, I used the same marker colors but added the little background lavender stamp with Vivid Violet Mist and then stamped the word Lavender in Lavender Vivid ink.  

Here's a peek at the card...

Here's a look at the jar topper -- sweet and simple with a little bit of glitter glue sparkle and a little bit of gingham ruffle! 


And, since I know you'll love this recipe, I thought I'd share! It's super dooper easy! 

LAVENDER COCONUT LOTION 

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup of extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil. I bought Nutiva Coconut Oil at Costco and it will likely last me forver!
  • 1 teaspoon of Vitaminn E Oil
  • 6 to 10 drops of lavender essential oil 

DIRECTIONS
Because coconut oil is a hard oil, you need to heat the oil to get it more fluid to mix the vitamin E and essential oils with it. I soften by sticking in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute. Mix in additional ingredients. Stick in fridge until it solidifies to a soft butter feel. Using a hand mixer, mix until lotion is whipped. Store in a cool, dark place in a jar of choice. Keep in mind, coconut oil has a very low melting point, so on hot days, this lotion may return to liquid form It's okay! Just let it harden and rewhip if desired. I usually just let it set back up and use as normal. 

And that, my friends is it! I hope you whip some up and know that you can always turn to Power Poppy to make your gift extra special with our Lavender stamp set! 

Now it's time to hand the baton to my fellow Bloomies so that they can run off with all their creative ideas and inspire you ALL! So, stop by, say hi, and let that inspiration fly!


Julie Koerber >>> you are here!


Thanks for sharing a bit of your day with me! I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead and for those of you in the States -- Happy Labor Day! Enjoy some rest and creative relaxation! ;-) See you back here soon!

~Julie


Pin It

8 comments:

KimCreate said...

Oh so pretty, I'm loving the lavender background paper and the way you placed the pretty flowers.

BJ Searcy said...

I think your idea of Lavender Coconut Oil, but do you measure the coconut oil before or after you melt it. Great Christmas presents.

Leslie Miller said...

I'm intrigued by your recipe! It sounds positively decadent, and very fun to whip up. Pretty presentation for it, Julie!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Julie, now this is a special gift - homemade Lavender Coconut Oil Lotion! I love the beautiful gift card with the great color combination and this sweet sprig of lavender, and what a lovely way to decorate your jar (love that ruffled gingham ribbon). Yes, what a lovely gift set, and thanks for the great recipe! Hugs, sweet friend!

Julie Koerber said...

BJ, Thanks for the question! I usually pack 1 cup of the coconut oil in a measuring cup before I heat to soften. That way, it's measured and there's no waste. Hope that helps! :-)

ChristineCreations said...

This is so sweet and creative Julie! I love that you have your own recipe! Beautiful gift and beautiful presentation!

Stacy Morgan said...

So very pretty! What a great little gift and lavendar is always a soothing scent for gifts. Very pretty Julie.

Katie Sims said...

Oh how I love gifts in a jar! This is SO pretty with your lavender details...AND complete with the recipe! I am going to have to try this for sure! It sounds like it smells heavenly and I am always on the look out for another lotion or potion! :) What an awesome gift, Julie!